The Executive Stables, which held the horses, carriages, and later automobiles of the President, were built, rebuilt, and relocated several times. The first stables were built in 1800 by the Jefferson administration and sat just off the White House grounds, near the current site of the Treasury Building. The stables were relocated and redesigned three more times before those shown in this photo were constructed. Built during the Pierce administration in 1857 and destroyed by fire during Lincoln's presidency in 1864, these stables were located in the backyard of the White House. Three redesigns later, the final Executive Stables stood where the Eisenhower Executive Office Building is located today.
Library of Congress Prints and Photograhs Division. View original.
The first stable in 1800 was a simple Georgian Brick building. The pictured stable, standing from 1857 to 1864, was a two story brick building with a metal roof and cupola.
White House Grounds