In 1967, Smithsonian Secretary S. Dillon Ripley opened a carousel on the Mall. Built in 1922, the carousel featured music played by a Wurlitzer organ. In the photo, Ripley celebrated its 10th anniversary on the Mall. By 1981, the carousel was too difficult to repair and it was replaced by a larger one that remains today. The current carousel originally ran in Baltimore's Gwynn Oak Amusement Park, and was the first ride taken by an African American child when the park was desegregated in 1963.
Smithsonian Institution Archives photograph, View original.
The 1981 carousel is in front of the Arts and Industries building. Built in 1947, it is made of wood and contains 60 horses.