Tennis Courts in the South Yard

Title

Tennis Courts in the South Yard

Description

From 1915 to 1935, there was a tennis court behind the Smithsonian Institution Castle, next to the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in the South Yard. The court was created for the Smithsonian's tennis team, which played in intramural as well as inter-departmental matches against teams from other federal agencies. This image shows Loyal B. Aldrich (Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory employee), and Astrophysicist Charles Greeley Abbot (Fifth Secretary of the Smithsonian) playing tennis.

Source

Smithsonian Institution Archives. View original.

Date

1915 (constructed)
1935 (converted into a parking lot)

Coverage

Physical Description

Tennis court.

Location

Between Jefferson Drive and Independence Avenue, SW, in what is now the Enid A. Haupt Garden.

Description

From 1915 to 1935, there was a tennis court behind the Smithsonian Institution Castle, next to the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in the South Yard. The court was created for the Smithsonian's tennis team, which played in intramural as well as inter-departmental matches against teams from other federal agencies. This image shows Loyal B. Aldrich (Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory employee), and Astrophysicist Charles Greeley Abbot (Fifth Secretary of the Smithsonian) playing tennis.

Date

1915 (constructed)

Coverage

1890-1919

Source

Smithsonian Institution Archives. View original.