Smithsonian South Shed

Title

Smithsonian South Shed

Description

The South Shed, also called the Annex, was used to prepare specimen for exhibition. Built in 1898 and demolished in 1975 to make way for the Victorian Garden, the South Shed at various times housed the Smithsonian's model and taxidermy shop, the bug house, and astrophysicist Samuel P. Landley's Aerodrome shop.

Source

Smithsonian Institution Archives, View Original.

Date

1898 (built)
1975 (demolished)

Coverage

Location

Between Jefferson Drive and Independence Avenue, SW in what is now the Enid A. Haupt Garden.

Description

The South Shed, also called the Annex, was used to prepare specimen for exhibition. Built in 1898 and demolished in 1975 to make way for the Victorian Garden, the South Shed at various times housed the Smithsonian's model and taxidermy shop, the bug house, and astrophysicist Samuel P. Landley's Aerodrome shop.

Date

1898 (built)

Coverage

1890-1919

Source

Smithsonian Institution Archives, View Original.