The lantern was given to the people of the United States by the Governor of Tokyo in 1954 to mark the 100th anniversary of Commodore Matthew Perry's arrival in Japan and the opening of trade between the two countries. It was installed amid the first cherry trees planted along the Tidal Basin. The lantern is lighted during the annual Cherry Blossom Festival. It is one of two lanterns created in 1651 to mark the death of a warlord named Tokugama Iemitsu. Both lanterns were formerly located at a temple in Tokyo's Ueno Park, where the twin remains today.
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division. View Original.
Granite sculpture approx. H. 10 ft. Diam 2 ft.; Base: approx. H. 5 ft.
Formerly located in Ueno Park, Japan, the sculpture now sits along the Tidal Basin.