Original Department of Agriculture Building

Title

Original Department of Agriculture Building

Description

The original building which housed the Department of Agriculture was designed in 1867 by Adolf Cluss, the same architect who designed the Smithsonian Arts and Industry Building. For decades, this building housed offices, research laboratories, and even a small museum. The building was razed in 1930 to fulfill the McMillan Commission's plan for the National Mall.

Source

National Archives at College Park. View original.

Date

1868 (construction completed)
1930 (demolished)

Coverage

Physical Description

The building faced the department's gardens that stretched across the Mall to what is now Constitution Avenue. It had a Renaissance Style, made of brick with brownstone cornices.

Location

12th and 14th Streets, SW, Washington, DC.

Description

The original building which housed the Department of Agriculture was designed in 1867 by Adolf Cluss, the same architect who designed the Smithsonian Arts and Industry Building. For decades, this building housed offices, research laboratories, and even a small museum. The building was razed in 1930 to fulfill the McMillan Commission's plan for the National Mall.

Creator

Adolf Cluss

Date

1868 (construction completed)

Coverage

1860-1889

Source

National Archives at College Park. View original.