Hains Point Teahouse

Title

Hains Point Teahouse

Description

The first teahouse in Hains Point, the southernmost tip of East Potomac Park, was a refreshment stand opened in 1920 and run by local Girl Scouts. It was very popular, and in 1922 construction began on a permanent structure with restrooms, which opened in 1924. Both the stand and building served light refreshments to park visitors. In 1925, park authorities transferred operation of the tearoom from the Girl Scouts to the Welfare and Recreation Association of Public Buildings and Grounds. By 1969, business had slowed significantly. The teahouse closed in 1985 and was demolished in 1987.

Source

Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. View original.

Date

1924 (opened)
1987 (removed)

Coverage

Description

The first teahouse in Hains Point, the southernmost tip of East Potomac Park, was a refreshment stand opened in 1920 and run by local Girl Scouts. It was very popular, and in 1922 construction began on a permanent structure with restrooms, which opened in 1924. Both the stand and building served light refreshments to park visitors. In 1925, park authorities transferred operation of the tearoom from the Girl Scouts to the Welfare and Recreation Association of Public Buildings and Grounds. By 1969, business had slowed significantly. The teahouse closed in 1985 and was demolished in 1987.

Date

1924 (opened)

Coverage

1920-1949

Source

Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. View original.