Monument to the Founding of the Grange

Title

Monument to the Founding of the Grange

Description

This small plaque along the walking path on the Mall at Fourth Street and Madison is the only private monument on the Mall, dedicated on September 9, 1951. It commemorates the founding of the National Grange of the Order of Patrons of Husbandry, a national agriculture association. The Grange, whose purpose is to help give farm families a political voice, was founded December 4, 1867. The plaque names the seven original founders of the association: Oliver Hudson Kelley, William Saunders, Aaron B. Grosh, John R. Thompson, Francis M. McDowell, William M. Ireland, and John Trimble.

Date

09/09/1951 (dedicated)

Coverage

Physical Description

Bronze plaque on a granite base, 1-2,000 cubic feet.

Location

The south side of 4th Street, SW, near Madison Drive, NW, Washington, DC.

Type

Description

This small plaque along the walking path on the Mall at Fourth Street and Madison is the only private monument on the Mall, dedicated on September 9, 1951. It commemorates the founding of the National Grange of the Order of Patrons of Husbandry, a national agriculture association. The Grange, whose purpose is to help give farm families a political voice, was founded December 4, 1867. The plaque names the seven original founders of the association: Oliver Hudson Kelley, William Saunders, Aaron B. Grosh, John R. Thompson, Francis M. McDowell, William M. Ireland, and John Trimble.

Creator

The National Grange of the Order of Patrons of Husbandry

Date

09/09/1951 (dedicated)

Coverage

1950-1979