Tiber Creek had been known as Goose Creek before 1790 when the city of Washington, DC was laid out and designated the nation's capital. The creek extended from the base of Capitol Hill to its mouth near the present day Washington Monument. In 1815, it was incorporated into the Washington City Canal. Essentially an open sewer, the creek was enclosed in a tunnel and diverted underground in 1871.
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. View Original.
1815 (Incorporated into a canal)