New Conservatory is Rising Steadily

Title

New Conservatory is Rising Steadily

Description

The original botanic gardens in Washington were built in line with the Capitol building, where the Capitol Reflecting Pool is today. The new design proposed for the Mall in the early 1900s called for an open green space from the Capitol to the Washington Monument, sparking a debate over the relocation of the Botanic Gardens. The final decision was to shift the institution to Independence Ave, then Canal Street. The new buildings described in this article were state-of-the art for the time, fit for the National Botanic Gardens.

Source

The Washington Post.

Date

1/26/1932

Coverage

Text

Botanic Gardens Structure Expected to Be Ready Next Summer.

Construction work on the new and modern conservatory of the Botanic Gardens has been progressing steadily since the corner stone was laid in the latter part of last year, and it is expected that it will be ready for occupancy in the middle of next summer.

One of the outstanding features of the conservatory, which will be the finest in the world when finished, is that all of the framework and superstructure is made of aluminum. This metal is especially adapted for construction work in conservatories from a technical viewpoint.

The ventilators and heat regulators of the new building will be entirely electrically operated.

Once the new buildings are completed the staff of the gardens will move the many hundreds of rare plants from their present location across the street to the new gardens, which will be bounded by Maryland avenue, First street southwest and Canal street.

The Botanic Gardens are 113 years old, and in the clearing work contractors have been obliged to move many old landmarks, including the old wall which has bounded the garden property for 70 years.

The work is being carried on under the supervision of the Architect of the Capitol, David Lynn, the technical work being done by Bennet, Parsons & Frost, architects, of New York City. George W. Hess is director of the Botanic Gardens.

Description

The original botanic gardens in Washington were built in line with the Capitol building, where the Capitol Reflecting Pool is today. The new design proposed for the Mall in the early 1900s called for an open green space from the Capitol to the Washington Monument, sparking a debate over the relocation of the Botanic Gardens. The final decision was to shift the institution to Independence Ave, then Canal Street. The new buildings described in this article were state-of-the art for the time, fit for the National Botanic Gardens.

Date

1/26/1932

Coverage

1920-1949

Source

The Washington Post.