Army Medical Museum and Library

Title

Army Medical Museum and Library

Description

The Army Medical Museum and Library served as the home for the library and museum of the Surgeon General's office. The Museum was founded in 1862, but it did not have a permanent home until the building opened in 1887. For a time, it also housed Army medical records and the Army Medical School (1893-1910). The building received National Historic Landmark status in 1964, but in 1969, it was demolished to make way for the Hirshhorn Museum. The Army Medical Museum moved to Walter Reed Army Medical Center campus.

Creator

Source

Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. View Original.

Date

1887 (Constructed)
1969 (Demolished)

Coverage

Physical Description

Red brick building, the size of a city block.

Location

South B Street [now Independence Avenue] and 7th Street, SW, Washington, D.C..

Description

The Army Medical Museum and Library served as the home for the library and museum of the Surgeon General's office. The Museum was founded in 1862, but it did not have a permanent home until the building opened in 1887. For a time, it also housed Army medical records and the Army Medical School (1893-1910). The building received National Historic Landmark status in 1964, but in 1969, it was demolished to make way for the Hirshhorn Museum. The Army Medical Museum moved to Walter Reed Army Medical Center campus.

Creator

Adolf Cluss

Date

1887 (Constructed)

Coverage

1860-1889

Source

Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. View Original.