Tennis courts on the Mall

Title

Tennis courts on the Mall

Description

Ten public tennis courts stood on the Mall between 3rd and 4th street by 1940 and remained until 1972, when they were removed to make way for the National Gallery of Art's east wing. Although these courts were free to use, they were very popular and players had to reserve them well in advance. These courts were probably segregated when they opened, but by 1948 they were designated "open" to any race.

Source

Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. View original.

Date

1944

Coverage

Original Format

Photograph

Description

Ten public tennis courts stood on the Mall between 3rd and 4th street by 1940 and remained until 1972, when they were removed to make way for the National Gallery of Art's east wing. Although these courts were free to use, they were very popular and players had to reserve them well in advance. These courts were probably segregated when they opened, but by 1948 they were designated "open" to any race.

Date

1944

Coverage

1920-1949

Source

Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. View original.