The White Lot

Title

The White Lot

Description

In 1860, the first baseball clubs in Washington, DC, the Nationals and the Potomacs, played a game on the field south of the White House, then known as the White Lot. The field was originally open to baseball enthusiasts of all races, but became segregated in 1874. In 1904, President Theodore Roosevelt formalized the park, laying out four diamonds for public play. The baseball fields remained open until the 1990s.

Source

Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. View original.

Date

June 2, 1860 (first game)
1990s (closed)

Coverage

Physical Description

52 acre park just south of the White House lawn.

Description

In 1860, the first baseball clubs in Washington, DC, the Nationals and the Potomacs, played a game on the field south of the White House, then known as the White Lot. The field was originally open to baseball enthusiasts of all races, but became segregated in 1874. In 1904, President Theodore Roosevelt formalized the park, laying out four diamonds for public play. The baseball fields remained open until the 1990s.

Date

June 2, 1860 (first game)

Coverage

1860-1889

Source

Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. View original.