Buffalo behind Smithsonian Institution Building

Title

Buffalo behind Smithsonian Institution Building

Description

These American bison, also known as buffalo, were part of the Smithsonian's Department of Living Animals. The Department was started by chief taxidermist William T. Hornaday, who was a spokesman for the conservation movement and very concerned about the possible extinction of American bison. The bison formed part of a collection of wild North American animals in a small sort of zoo in the yard behind the Smithsonian Castle in the late 1880s and early 1890s, before the establishment of the National Zoo.

Source

Smithsonian Institution Archives. View original.

Date

1886-1889

Coverage

Original Format

Photographic print

Description

These American bison, also known as buffalo, were part of the Smithsonian's Department of Living Animals. The Department was started by chief taxidermist William T. Hornaday, who was a spokesman for the conservation movement and very concerned about the possible extinction of American bison. The bison formed part of a collection of wild North American animals in a small sort of zoo in the yard behind the Smithsonian Castle in the late 1880s and early 1890s, before the establishment of the National Zoo.

Date

1886-1889

Coverage

1860-1889

Source

Smithsonian Institution Archives. View original.