A view of the Lockkeeper's House

Title

A view of the Lockkeeper's House

Description

The lockkeeper's house at 17th Street and Constitution Avenue is a reminder that canals once flowed through Washington, DC. Between 1835 and 1855, a lockkeeper served the lock that connected the Washington branch of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal to the Washington City Canal, which ran parallel to the National Mall, where Constitution Avenue is today. At that time, the Potomac River extended nearly to the base of the Washington Monument and a wharf stood on the south side of the Lockkeeper's House. The National Park Service took over the site at the beginning of the 1900s.

Source

Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. View original.

Date

1933

Coverage

Original Format

Measured Drawing and text

Description

The lockkeeper's house at 17th Street and Constitution Avenue is a reminder that canals once flowed through Washington, DC. Between 1835 and 1855, a lockkeeper served the lock that connected the Washington branch of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal to the Washington City Canal, which ran parallel to the National Mall, where Constitution Avenue is today. At that time, the Potomac River extended nearly to the base of the Washington Monument and a wharf stood on the south side of the Lockkeeper's House. The National Park Service took over the site at the beginning of the 1900s.

Date

1933

Coverage

1830-1859

Source

Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. View original.